The Folksy Shop

26 July 2010

"The Cowslip" I

While perusing the local charity shops with a couple of friends and my boyfriend, we went into Oxfam, which regrettably has a rather large shelf unit full of antiquarian books. I don't go in there often, because I have a feeling if I did, I'd be considerably thinner and have a much lighter wallet than I already do (it's featherweight, believe me).

Anyway, I was on my knees in front of that shelf before the tinkly bell above the door had fallen silent, and I picked out a slim volume of cautionary tales for children dating from 1900. Before I had a chance to thank him, my wonderful other half had whisked it away to the counter with a flash of plastic and a 'happy birthday' (it's not for two weeks!). And so, here is the first cutely similar to mine tale:

I.
The New Book
A neat little book, full of pictures, was bought
For a good little girl who was glad to be taught.
She read all the tales, and then said to her mother,
I'll lend this new book to my dear little brother.
He shall look at the pictures, and find O and I,
I'm sure he won't tear it, he's such a good boy.
Oh, no! brother Henry knows better indeed;
Although he's too young, yet, to spell or to read.

The first two lines reminded me of me; however I'd never lend this book to my little brother in a million years...

No comments:

Post a Comment